Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I have arrived and South Africa is wonderful!







Hi everyone! After nearly 24 hours on a plane, I am finally at my destination!

I arrived in Jo'burg airport around 8 on Tues. morning and had to go outside the airport to re-enter onto a domestic flight and security. Weird. The air outside was fresh and clean. I flew to Polokwane, which was about 45 minutes and it was a small airport with a strong police presence. My friend, Marie, picked me up in her car with the driver's seat on the "wrong side" and we were off through the country side.
The jacaranda trees are all in full purple regalia and spectacular as we drove toward the town of Tzaneen. The land was flat and arid, with settlements popping up along side the roads. We stopped at a local market, so I could get my veggie on! Their currency is the Rand and it is about 7 rands to a dollar.
We then drove out of the flat to the mountains where they live and as we came around the corner, everything was lush and green, like Florida, but for the red clay soil. They live on Lemantour Farms and their house is beautiful. They have high ceilings and the roof is thatched. There are gardens of flowers overflowing everywhere and their land has gentle sloping hills. Pepe is currently digging a pond, specifically for the 6, yes, count them, 6 Rhodesian Ridgebacks! They are huge.








It was decided that I would cook, so I made a pasta with garlic, onions, fresh herbs and garlic bread. Scrumptious! I was so tired at 9 o'clock, that I begged off and went to get the sleep I have missed for the past two days. My room has cathedral ceilings, thatched with beams in a conical shape. It is wonderful! I was asleep before my head hit the pillow.



Tomorrow I will visit the town of Tzaneen, so for now I will say goodnight!!




















No comments:

Post a Comment